Followers

Friday, January 29, 2010


“Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.”- Mark 9:35

mewithoutYou is perhaps one of my most favorite bands. Aaron Weiss the lead singer of the band wrote a song where this was part of the chorus: "If I could become the servant of all, no lower place to fall." I am sure he took it from Mark 9:35. But the rest of the song is one vague analogy after another describing, I think, his life. How his parents viewed his birth and his first maybe 25 years. 25 years of being "king" of his life. 25 years of being fed and taken care of. and then reading Mark 9 I imagine he feels over whelmed. How is he to become a cheerful servant after being served for so long?


I have the same question. How am I to become servant of all when for the last 37 years I have been served. atleast by my own hands. I have sat on a black leather couch embracing a cup of coffee in a hand made coffee mug morning and afternoon for the last 5 years. I listen to music on an iPod ( the ultimate in music listening convenience but not without cost) How am I to break that habit and become the servant?

Dear Father, create in me a more serving spirit. give me the desire to reach out beyond my bubble of comfort and help another. Give me the vision to see the needs of others. Do not let me neglect my own family but take away the codependency I have on material things. So I might give freely of my time and possessions. I know you are faithful and will take care of me. you will bless me, so I have no worries.

I love you Father

No comments:

Post a Comment